Flickr, the popular photo sharing service, is a great way to manage photos online. We'll show you how easy it is to use great looking Flickr slideshows in NetCommunity.
Flickr Photo Slideshows
Flickr is a very popular, free, photo sharing website that lets you upload, organize, and share your photos. Its photo organizational tools are second to none and the system works extremely well for managing large numbers of photos. Flickr also lets you embed photos stored on its service in your own NetCommunity website in an elegant slideshow. The Flickr community has built a number of other ways to embed Flickr photos and galleries, and we mention some of our favorites further down this page, but we will focus here on how to embed Flickr's default slideshow.
You can see what an embedded Flickr slideshow looks like and tinker with available settings (these photos were taken by Steve MacLaughlin, our Director of Internet Solutions here at Blackbaud). With Flickr, you organize your photos into sets, and here we will embed a slideshow of a particular set in your NetCommunity page.
Setting it up
- Navigate to the set you want to embed on Flickr and click the "Slideshow" link near the top right of the screen.
- When the slideshow loads, click the "Share" link near the top left. You can grab the embed code from there, or hit the "Customize this HTML" link to change the size of your slideshow and preview it. Copy the embed code for your set.
- Create a new Unformatted Text part in NetCommunity and paste in the embed code from Flickr. Save the part with default settings.
- Place this part on any page wherever you would like this slideshow to appear. You can continue to manage your photos in Flickr and this slideshow will update automatically.
Gotchas, Caveats, and More Information
This is just one way to embed Flickr photos in your site. Because it's offered by Flickr (which is owned by Yahoo), it is probably the most reliable, however here are some other options that may be worth exploring:
- PictoBrowser provides a tool to build very customizable and functional Flickr slideshows using their online tool PictoBuilder.
- Googling "Flickr Slideshow" yields a host of other options. Feel free to explore and share your experiences below in the comments!